Movies and TV

• Start date
  • Replies 13,732 Comments
  • Views 960,319 Views
Death Proof 2007

Strangely entertaining film. I started watching it about 20 min in and thought I was watching a movie from the 70's or 80's.

It's Tarantino so there are some shenanigans. Some great stunt scenes.

And American muscle cars, Matty.

:moped:

7.25 Trons

That sounds nice, Tron. I love me some brawny American muscle.

Oh and it's a Robert Rodrigez co-production. I'm totally in. Will watch with the wife tonight.

We are in search of a good sifi movie. Something to do with space. Any suggestions?

Moon (2009)
American Astronaut (2001) - only if you want really weird, but it's great.
World of Tomorrow - 18 minute animated short, but watch it in addition to the movie, because it's fantastic.
The Fifth Element is always worth a rewatch.

Or watch the series Firefly, if you haven't already.

MrX
Moon (2009)
American Astronaut (2001) - only if you want really weird, but it's great.
World of Tomorrow - 18 minute animated short, but watch it in addition to the movie, because it's fantastic.
The Fifth Element is always worth a rewatch.

Or watch the series Firefly, if you haven't already.

Thank you! We will have to look into these!

So I ran into this girl last night that reminded me of an actress I remember, occasionally played a really sexy teenager in Married With Children. Wasn't easy to find her through there, because she was a very minor character. ...Well apparently she was in a bunch of Kevin Smith movies that I either haven't seen or don't remember, and her name is Joey Lauren Adams
300x188_joey-lauren-adams_2362.jpg

...Anyway I started watching this Chasing Amy, and in ways it's a pretty good film. And it's mostly due to her character. Her outlook on things is pretty honest, bright, interesting, creative etc.. She's cute and adorable and everything too. Pretty good actress I guess. Although some parts of the movie are a bit crude and unrealistic, overall plenty of decent stuff in there.

But what I don't understand is how do these guys, who have things to say, which is evident by Clerks and this Film, can put out total garbage like Clerks 2 and Mallrats and probably a bunch of other shit? They appear to be on totally different levels of understanding, but somehow maybe not. It makes me think, is it like some kind of representation of a dichotomy of a lost generation? At least in pop culture? :dunno:

It's good to be Kevin Smith. I don't have much interest in him but he seems to have made a fun life for himself.

Apart from his movies, I have seen videos of him doing "concerts." He basically just goes up front and gabs. I don't know if this is still true but he used to be able to sell out a decent sized hall. That many people were interested in his general thoughts about normal shit.

And hearing him talk dirty. He'll talk dirty alright. He sure will.

I'm not talking stand-up comedy. He just gabbed. And then maybe he'd bring up the other guy and they'd gab. Do some Q & A with the audience. That's it.

:dunno:

I find him unremarkable.

The Santa Clarita Diet

Funnyish.

I guess I'll keep watching if nothing else is on.

Old balls Drew Barrymore is kind of sexy.
:mrquincy:

It's good to be Kevin Smith. I don't have much interest in him but he seems to have made a fun life for himself.

Apart from his movies, I have seen videos of him doing "concerts." He basically just goes up front and gabs. I don't know if this is still true but he used to be able to sell out a decent sized hall. That many people were interested in his general thoughts about normal shit.

And hearing him talk dirty. He'll talk dirty alright. He sure will.

I'm not talking stand-up comedy. He just gabbed. And then maybe he'd bring up the other guy and they'd gab. Do some Q & A with the audience. That's it.

:dunno:

I find him unremarkable.

He makes appearances at all the same venues as comedians.

Just like his movies, he has a way with dialogue.

HUGH hockey fan.

Cool guey in our book.

One thing I liked about Clerks was the running theme that Dante(?) had a hockey game
and Chasing Amy also had a hockey game scene.

I did once check out a vid of Kevin Smith stand up(?) It was uninteresting imo. Didn't get far into it

Anybody watching Taboo? I watched the first episode (and will carry on with season 1).

Very heavy. Serious.

But compelling.

taboo-tom-hardy-1068x502.jpg

Ima copy my signature bets here so there can be no hanky panky. Don't want anyone thinking I am adjusting my numbers, or making losing bets disappear, while the Oscars are in progress, to make my air-bet record seem more impressive to the internets.

#memoriesofSBR

As of now we got:

Mudcat signature plays. Casey Affleck to win Best Actor -163 Emma Stone to win Oscar for Best Actress -600. Zootopia to win Best Animated Feature -500. La La Land to win Best Cinematograohy -500

Signature play record 7-1 +5.2 units

Am I the only poster who watches Baskets on FX?

Manchester by the Sea on redbox last night

first physical dvd i've seen in a long time

I cried twice

7.93 Crying Archies out of a possible 11.47

I didn't think it was great, but I appreciated the realism, awkward scenes, and not attempting to make a great contrived redemptive piece

left me a bit haunted though

woke up thinking about it

so I guess they did something there

Lost interest halfway through Manchester by the Sea. Tediously maudlin shiz.

NA Matty Rains out of a possible 10

Signature Oscar wagers UPDATED 2/23. Will they give Denzel a third Oscar? I'm starting to think so. Casey Affleck wager is out. But the price of -450 on La La Land for Best Picture seems bursting with value so adding that.

Mudcat signature plays. Emma Stone to win Oscar for Best Actress -600. Zootopia to win Best Animated Feature -500. La La Land to win Best Cinematography -500 La La Land to win Best Picture -450

Signature play record 7-1 +5.2 units

The movie Get Out which came out this weekend seems like a must see. Great buzz including a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 132 ratings so far.

I just watched a review and it's hard to even understand what it is exactly. It's directed by Peele form Key and Peele but it's not a straight up comedy. It's like a horror/satire? With some humor? Lots of social commentary? Or something?

Might have to get out to the theater for that one.

shit

Big Little Lies

first two episodes were very addictive

wifey read the book, but doesn't remember shit apparently....which is good

13.58 Bitchywife Archie's out of 14.92