I know we've talked about advertizing before

• Start date
  • Replies 336 Comments
  • Views 18,555 Views
Yea RC, what a bunch of advertising BS for ObamaCare! This is a whole other story but I really didn't think bout it much until I went online in November checking out costs! If you were buying insurance on your own in 2013 was half the costs of what it will be in 2014 in most states! Reason I looked was MrsM really wanted to make FLA move ASAP and wanted to investigate!

And a company like Aetna (5h biggest in US) completely left the NJ market! WTF! Most people (me was included) don't realize what's going on cause they get coverage through their employer so not a concern! Yea, the young people just bout can afford to live as it is and now they must get coverage! This whole mess IMO is turning into form of welfare! And who pays for it?

I wonder if Durito had enough and moved to another country? When he complained bout costs, I always was on the other side but I feel for the guy now and his situation he posted about!

The freeist market is a gambler. The second is sales. I'll take the role of the selfish asshole since I have a sales/marketing degree. Like you (pro gambler I assume), I don't make a single dime until I get out and actually sell something. I make 100% of my salary from commish.

Why don't you hear specific facts about obamacare? Because King Obama wants you fish to blindly support it (kind of who could hurt a puppy theory, so just accept anything). All you need to know is if your adjusted income was $41k or higher I believe, enjoy getting raked over the coals. Since you think it's great that everyone should have it at any cost, you'll have no problem paying more. It's a thinly-veiled form of income redistribution.

I just want to know how I am going to get free network TV if there are now advertising. I love me some free TV.

sales like gambling is a trivial business. Yes, I make all of my income gambling but I'll be 1st to admit that it does not contribute anything meaningful to the community.

The community should prioritize what needs to be funded such as medicine. They have no problem funding military and prisons. Its a fucking joke that as I said before the politicians will use any reason to enrich business instead of providing for the needs of the public. Insurance should have nothing to do with medicine. In fact thats another worthless industry that should be largely eliminated.

sales like gambling is a trivial business. Yes, I make all of my income gambling but I'll be 1st to admit that it does not contribute anything meaningful to the community.

The community should prioritize what needs to be funded such as medicine. They have no problem funding military and prisons. Its a fucking joke that as I said before the politicians will use any reason to enrich business instead of providing for the needs of the public. Insurance should have nothing to do with medicine. In fact thats another worthless industry that should be largely eliminated.

We can enrich business AND provide needs for the public. The majority of the people here don't want the government to provide for them. Pretty basic in a capitalistic nation. Obama promised to end this senseless war, we may be there 20 more years. That is a huge waste i'm sure we can agree on.

BTW if MrX agrees with you, he needs to destroy his motorcycle, cause it never made it to market. The guy who invented it still has the original production run in his garage. He's just waiting for customers that will never come cause they have no way to find out about him.

Silly argument. Are you even trying?

You think free markets don't exist without advertising? Ridiculous. Do you get most of your purchasing information from paid advertisements? Do you think most people do?

There are whole market segments that operate just fine without advertising. There are companies that have become highly successful without using any paid advertising (Costco, Ferrari, The Body Shop, Ben and Jerry's). I'm pretty amazed that you would think products don't make it to the marketplace without advertising.

You guys just like to be outcasts and rant.

Also dead wrong, in my case. I don't usually feel like an outcast. And, when I do, it's a very bad feeling. It's definitely not something I strive for.

As for ranting, when I get involved in a discussion about something on here, I try hard to research all sides of it, and to approach it with an open-mind. I spend a lot of time thinking about and looking into anything we argue about on here. I know so much more about the SNAP program and welfare programs in general than I did a month ago, for example. I spent hours learning about that stuff because I thought it was an interesting and important topic.

So, fuck off with that characterization, is what I think I'm trying to say.

I'll get back to the advertising conversation when I'm done being annoyed.

$_3.JPG

MrX
Silly argument. Are you even trying?

You think free markets don't exist without advertising? Ridiculous. Do you get most of your purchasing information from paid advertisements? Do you think most people do?

There are whole market segments that operate just fine without advertising. There are companies that have become highly successful without using any paid advertising (Costco, Ferrari, The Body Shop, Ben and Jerry's). I'm pretty amazed that you would think products don't make it to the marketplace without advertising.

Dude. Ferrari promotes itself through billions of dollars invested in Formula One. Costco has a hugh marketing force that targets small businesses in their local communities.

No doubt that several big names do without paid media. But if you're not reaching out to peeps through some aggressive form of advertising and/or marketing, you ain't selling shit.

I was targeting reno more than you with my outcast comment - apologies if I offended. I don't have a strong grasp on MrX the non-non-person.

Dude. Ferrari promotes itself through billions of dollars invested in Formula One. Costco has a hugh marketing force that targets small businesses in their local communities.

No doubt that several big names do without paid media. But if you're not reaching out to peeps through some aggressive form of advertising and/or marketing, you ain't selling shit.

And I would argue that the kind of marketing that you're talking about might be much better for society than paid blanket advertising.

I was targeting reno more than you with my outcast comment - apologies if I offended. I don't have a strong grasp on MrX the non-non-person.

Apology accepted.

I reckon that my definition of advertising might be wider than what is being discussed here. Through my job I create, send and receive a lot of ads for relevant and not-so-relevant services and products. Billboard/consumer advertising is just one aspect of it.

I like good TV and print ads, and the medium in general.

It doesn't work for me. I'm listening to Pandora radio at work and when the ads come on I have a bathroom break.

Those ad-supported apps are a terrible investment for advertisers.

Best thing right now for an e-startup is a mix of white-hat SEO, careful Adwords bidding and "boosted" Facebook posts and ads.

So back to the original topic.

It's not quite the radical suggestion that some of you are making it out to be. It's almost universally understood that advertising can be an intrusion and a blight to the point that it needs to be regulated. It's just a matter of where you draw the line.

It's already illegal to put up a billboard in many locations, including entire states. Most people agree with these laws. Most people don't want to see ads every time they look up outside. But most people will put up with ads every time they turn on the tv. It's somewhat arbitrary.

In tobacco, we have an entire legal industry that is mostly prohibited from advertising.

I do think that there are good aspects to advertising. It's been shown that advertising that focuses on product information actually tends to lower the prices of products in that marketplace, whereas advertising that focuses on image leads to higher prices. I think there are probably better ways get product information out than traditional advertising, but I'll grant that it can work in a positive way.

I think there's a significant social cost to advertising, though. I think it's it often done to wasteful excess, it promotes materialism, and it's often just plain annoyingly intrusive.

I'm a tiny bit hopeful that the information age will lead advertising to be more and more targeted to the point that, combined with the fact that consumers can more easily find their own information about products, will lead to blanket advertising becoming cost-ineffective. Probably wishful thinking.

Advertising directly to kids seems especially brutal to me.

I'm glad I don't have to deal with that.

MrX
I'm a tiny bit hopeful that the information age will lead advertising to be more and more targeted to the point that, combined with the fact that consumers can more easily find their own information about products, will lead to blanket advertising becoming cost-ineffective. Probably wishful thinking.

I think things are totally headed that way. Thinking about the online space, the most successful companies are those that have mastered the art of personalization (Google, Amazon, eBay, Facebook, among others.)

MrX
So back to the original topic.

It's not quite the radical suggestion that some of you are making it out to be. It's almost universally understood that advertising can be an intrusion and a blight to the point that it needs to be regulated. It's just a matter of where you draw the line.

It's already illegal to put up a billboard in many locations, including entire states. Most people agree with these laws. Most people don't want to see ads every time they look up outside. But most people will put up with ads every time they turn on the tv. It's somewhat arbitrary.

In tobacco, we have an entire legal industry that is mostly prohibited from advertising.

I do think that there are good aspects to advertising. It's been shown that advertising that focuses on product information actually tends to lower the prices of products in that marketplace, whereas advertising that focuses on image leads to higher prices. I think there are probably better ways get product information out than traditional advertising, but I'll grant that it can work in a positive way.

I think there's a significant social cost to advertising, though. I think it's it often done to wasteful excess, it promotes materialism, and it's often just plain annoyingly intrusive.

Are places that don't allow advertising better off? I don't know that to be true. There is adverting in the print media, radio, TV. I guess I don't take advertising serious for the most part. I rarely watch commercials. I get your and RC's angle, but advertising is far more positive than negative. The SEO stuff and Facebook ads, at least they are catered to your interests vs a random ad.